Wednesday 2 April 2014

Basing Shenanigans

Hey all!

So with a new month comes a new list of miniatures I want to paint, and lets face it... Probably won't finish painting. So for April I want to:

  • Finish the Storm Troll 
  • Finish eMorv
  • Start painting and possibly finish eDoomy 
  • With a stretch goal of the Night Troll.

Last night I mucked around with the bases to try and do something interesting for eDoomy's base and the storm troll, because lets face it I am most definitely procrastinating finishing the Storm Troll again.

So for the Storm Troll's base the idea is to have a pillar of rocks similar to what I did with the Pyre Troll, except I want to make the base look wet as if it has been raining. On the top of this pillar of rocks (made of cork) where the storm troll will stand I made some scorch marks (with green stuff) so as to look like lightning has struck.

Storm Troll WIP Base

Since taking this photo I have filled in the bottom part with Glass Coat. This is my first time making water effects on a base and my first experience with this stuff is messy. It seems as if the stuff has gotten everywhere and it's not easy to wash off.

The other base I was working on, the one for eDoomy, was inspired by a thread I came across my Drakeoss on the Privateer Press Forums (click here to go to the thread). I basically want eDooms elevated up on some tree roots similar to what Drakeoss has done. As I was sculpting this I thought "wouldn't it be cool if instead of just random roots holding him up it was a hand made of roots!" and so I managed to sculpt this:

eDoomy WIP Base

Please keep in mind this is my first attempt at sculpting anything with a wire frame + green stuff. From my experience here though I can say that I made a mistake by putting all the green stuff on first. By doing this I got about halfway through shaping the twists and knots of the roots before it became incredibly hard to do more, as the green-stuff had started to dry/harden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment