Monday 10 March 2014

Painting Guide Heated Metal (Chain)

This is a painting guide for heated chains. I looked online for some guides for painting heated chains but found very little. So I have decided to share what I found and the quickest easiest way to paint a chain to look glowing hot.

The colours I use from the Citadel paint range are:
-  Mephiston Red
- Golden Yellow
- Abaddon Black

The colours I use from the P3 paint range are:
- Khador Red Highlight
- Morrow White

I also use a wet pallet and always add water to my paint, I never paint straight out of the pot. Due to this assume that when I get a vibrant colour I have built it up with multiple layers. The brush I am using is a Series 7 Finest Sable Winsor & Newton Size 2.

1. Unpainted chains


 2. Paint the chains Mephiston Red where you want the chain to look hot. Try to get a nice even coverage may require a few thin layers, you want that red to be really vibrant.


3. Paint the rest of the chains Abaddon Black. Where it meets the red to a 2:1 Water:Paint wash on a couple of the red links.


4.Make a gradient on the red, so paint in thin layers the Khador Red Highlight all the way down from the flame leaving a couple of links red. Again you want this to be really vibrant.


5. Do the same for the Golden Yellow, leaving 1 or two links orange. Also for this step you are not looking for a full coverage of the links, just the top bits (kind of like you are picking out detail)


6. 1:1 mixture of Morrow White and Golden Yellow to highlight the areas closest to the flame, Afterwards highlight with Morrow White, picking out very few links. You don't want to paint too much straight white so only pain the hottest parts of the chain.


7. Finish off the rest of the chain however you would paint normal chains and your done!

Work in Progress - Trollblood Pyre Troll


No comments:

Post a Comment